The breeding stock should be selected when they reach 4 to 5 weeks old. The breeder should be selected from the largest litter. In males, it is extremely critical to find the existence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down in the body cavity at 12 weeks old. Extensive type of reproduction:- Why not find out more
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 months and re-breeding soon after weaning. Does are so mated once every 2.5 months. This is the best suited to tropical countries like India. Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 months old. Breeding is practised after 10-20 days after kindling. Intensive reproduction
Weaning is at 4 weeks old. Mating is performed immediately after kindling. Usually this practise is followed in western nations.
Always females should be placed to the pencil of male to avoid fighting. Mating should be done during coolest portion of the day like early morning or late evening. After successful mating the male usually produces a typical cry sound and falls down on one side of the female. Soon after the mating the male one should be removed from the cage. The male should not be greater than 3 to 4 days in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times in a day. The proportion of male to female is 1:10. Both genders should reach 70 percent of the adult body weight.
The breeding season is all but throughout year. But in India, fall stress is encountered during hot weather.
Signals of heat in females
1. Restlessness, Rubbing the chin on the sides of the cage.
3. They are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
4. In warmth, the female rabbit accepts male, otherwise it rejects.
5. In heat, the female assumes a typical pose called”lordosis” in which the back is arched downward and hind quarter is increased.
6. The female one in di-estrous phage crouch at the corner of the cage.
7. After kindling (parturition), the re breeding occurs after a week in intensive management. But normally re-mating is shown just one week before weaning.
8. When temperature rises above 36 degree centigrade, temporary sterility happens.